Monday, February 15, 2010

Nostalgic No No

Marc Jacobs. My opinion of him from the start could be defined in two words: eccentric genius.

I love everything he comes up with.I love him! I even wrote a lengthy term paper about him. I don't know, but I just have to admire how he takes risks, like going against fashion forecasts. Which, I am told now, is not something you should definitely NOT do.

But that's Marc Jacobs. There's no should or shouldn't. Just creativity flowing in all the right ways.

His ready to wear collection for Spring-Summer 2010 had enough to prove my opinion right.
He had these looks that seemed to be new and interesting takes on traditional business suits (basically because I can actually picture really serious yet fashionable women wearing these to office).

Okay, maybe not so much the frilly pants and the grandma skirt, but you get the picture. (Note: the outfit in the centre gets brownie points for having an Asian model)
Of course, he also had odd yet strangely attractive looks like this modernized, extra glittery MC Hammer outfit:


Notice the wonderful parachute pants I'd love to use the next time I jump on a trampoline.

Unfortunately, there was one item I saw in this collection that I could not and probably will never appreciate. This is one thing that, even if you hold me by my ankles out of the window on the top floor of the tallest building in the world, I will not use. I'd choose to give myself a difficult time holding everything in my hands or lug around a huge yet empty backpack over wearing one of these.
Know what it is yet? That's right. Marc Jacobs actually thought that Fanny Packs could be brought back into vogue. No, I'm not kidding. Here's the proof:



Now, don't get me wrong, I'm all for bringing back a few trends from past decades, but a fanny pack is a fanny pack. No matter what fabric you use or what label you put it under, it's still not fashionable. Sorry, Marc Jacobs. I love you, but this just doesn't work.

No comments:

Post a Comment